Sunday, December 5, 2010

(Books #42 & 43) Douglas Adams - 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' & 'Life, The Universe and Everything'


For books #42 (oh the irony) and #43, I read the second and third books in the 'Hitchhiker' series. I picked up 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' a few years ago and actually rather enjoyed it, so when looking for things to read and finding a few more of his books, they seemed to be the perfect books to read for my little project.

'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe', the first sequel, picked up right where the first book left off, and continued the wacky quasi-sci-fi adventures of a motley crew of characters and one depressed robot. There was less direction and overall story than I expected in this book, but the sheer randomness was humorous and kept me engaged in the traveling throughout the universe. Despite this story's eccentricities, I still liked it and was intrigued enough to keep going and read the following book.

The next book in the series, 'Life, The Universe and Everything', was far more difficult for me to read. The further I got into the book, the more irritated with the story, the characters and Douglas Adams himself I got. It was almost like the author stopped taking his medication and every crazy thing that came out of his head was slapped into the story. There was still a vague semblance of structure amidst a sea of absurdities, but a person can only handle so much nonsense. I really wanted to just quit this one and move on, but decided to just plow through and read the last third of the book before bed one night.

I really was expecting to like these more than I did. I still enjoyed the first Hitchhiker book, but after reading these, I think it's safe to say I won't be reading Douglas Adams again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment